top of page
Cake and Slice
Ingredients - Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the Rhubarb Centre
1 large stalk of Rhubarb
1 Sprig of Mint
50ml of Gin (I used Brighton Gin for this
recipe which worked amazingly well!)
50g of Caster Sugar
For the Cupcake
125g of Unsalted Butter
125g of Caster Sugar
125g of Self-Raising Flour
1/4 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
For the Gin Syrup
50ml of Gin
50g of Caster Sugar
For the Buttercream
250g of Unsalted Butter
400g of Icing Sugar
Zest of 1 Lime.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees (155 degrees fan) and prepare a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. Chop the rhubarb into 1cm pieces, place into a small saucepan with the gin, mint and sugar, slowly bring to a gentle simmer and leave to bubble away for 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. For the Cupcakes: cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, around 3 minutes, add the eggs one at a time, beating well before adding the second. Sieve in the flour and bicarbonate and beat until all ingredients are fully combined.
4. Fill each cupcake case with 2 teaspoons of mixture, place 1/2 a teaspoon of the rhubarb mixture into the centre, any remaining batter place on top, but don't over fill your cupcakes, each case should only be 3/4 full.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
6. Just before your cupcakes have cooked prepare the Gin Syrup. Place the gin and caster sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a gentle bubble and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. As soon as your cupcakes are out of the oven pierce each cupcake several times and using a pastry brush coat the tops of each cake with the warm gin syrup. Set aside to cool.
8. While your cakes are cooling prepare your buttercream. Beat the butter until light and pale, this will take a minimum of 5 minutes, add the icing sugar in 2 batches, beating well before adding the second batch, beat all ingredients together for a further 3 minutes.
9. Fit a piping bag with a star ended nozzle, fill the piping bag with your buttercream, starting in the centre of your cupcake pipe in a clock wise motions slowly building up your buttercream swirl.
10. Grate your Lime zest over the top of each cupcake. Now enjoy!!
Happy Baking! All my Love
bottom of page