For the Cupcake
125g Unsalted Butter
125g Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate
125g Self Raising Floor
1 tablesoon Milk
1 tablesoon of Lemon Curd
(Plus extra for the centre)
Zest of Half a Lemon
For the Italian Meringue
4 Egg Whites
225g Caster Sugar
6 tablesoons of Water.
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C (150C fan) and fill a 12 cupcake tray with cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (roughly 3 - 5 minutes.)
3. Add the eggs in one at a time, making sure each egg is full incorparated before adding the next.
4. Beat in the bicarobante of soda and the floor.
5. Add the zest, lemon curd and milk and beat together untill all ingredients are all mixed together.
6. Fill the cupcake cases 2/3 full and bake for 20 - 22minutes or until a skwear comes out clean. Leave to cool completly.
7. Using a sharp knife cut out the centre, but don't cut to the bottom of the cupcake you only want to go half way, fill the centre with lemon curd then place the cut out section back on top.
8. Whisk together the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
9. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan and place over a low/medium heat, stirring the mixture, heat the syrup until it reaches 120C.
10. Whilst whisking the eggs slowly pour in the syrup, once all the syrup has been added keep whisking until the bowl and the egg whites have reached room temperature - they should be stiff and shiny and taste amazing!!
11. Add your favourite nozzle to a piping bag, I used a large open star nozzle and tarting in the middle pipe clockwise slowly building up a gorgeous swirl.
12. To add colour either place the cupcakes under the grill for a few moments or, as I love to do, grab a blow torch and allow your meringue to colour.
Happy Baking. all my love