top of page
For the Cupcake
125g of Unsalted Butter
125g of Caster Sugar
125g of Self Raising Flour
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Zestof 1 Blood Orange
For the Gin Syrup
50ml of Gin - I used Far Reaches Gin for this recipe a perfect match - www.farreachesgin.com
40g of Caster Sugar
Zest of 1 Blood Orange
For the Buttercream
250g of Unsalted Butter
400g of Icing Sugar
25ml of Elderflower Cordial
Zest of 1 Lemon
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees (155 degrees fan) and prepare a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in the eggs, sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and gently fold. Finally add the zest and juice of your blood orange.
3. Fill your cake cases till they are 2/3 full, place in the oven and bake for 22- 25 minutes, or, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Just before your cupcakes are done combine the gin, sugar and blood orange juice in a small saucepan, place over a medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer and allow to bubble for 3 minutes.
5. As soon as your cupcakes are out the oven pierce serval times with a knife and using a pastry brush cover the tops of your cupcakes with the syrup. Leave to cool completely.
6. Now time to prepare your buttercream: beat your butter until light and pale, this will take a minimum of 5 minute. Add your icing sugar and elderflower cordial in two batches, the elderflower cordial will help the icing sugar not going all over our kitchen. Finally add the lemon zest and beat your buttercream for a further 3 minutes.
7. Fit a piping bag with a star ended nozzle, fill your bag with buttercream and starting in the centre of your cake, working clockwise, pipe and slowly build up your buttercream swirl.
8. Cut up your orange and add to the top of your buttercream with a rosemary garnish.
Now pour yourself a gin and tonic and enjoy!!
Happy Baking! All My Love
bottom of page