top of page
This post and recipe is a collaborative project with 'The Coconut Collaborative Company.' A completely Dairy Free company who create their products using Coconuts! Go check them out
For this recipe I used their Natural Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt. This recipe is dairy and gluten free and suitable for vegans.
This Recipe will make a two layered cake
For The Cake
500g of The Coconut Collaborative Natural Yogurt
300ml of Olive Oil
300g of Caster Sugar
3 Mashed Bananas
1tsp of Vanilla
600g of Gluten Free Plain Flour
1 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/s tsp of Salt
For The butterCream
250g of Dairy Free Butter
570g of Icing Sugar
food colouring (i prefer a gel based colouring)
For the Vegan Meringue Kisses
120ml of Aquafaba (Chickpea Brine/Water)
150g of Caster Sugar
1. Grease and Line two 7 inch round cake tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan.)
2. Whisk Together the Yogurt, Olive Oil, Caster Sugar, mashed bananas and vanilla extract for at least 3 minutes.
3. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and fold into the wet mixture.
4. Evenly distribute the cake batter between the two cakes tins, place in the middle of the oven and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
5. To make the buttercream beat the butter for a few minutes, add the icing sugar and beat for a further five minutes.
6. Trim the tops of your cooled cakes so they're flat. Add a layer of buttercream in-between the two cakes, on top and all round the sides. using a palate knife or bench scraper scrape off any excess and leave to chill for 30 minutes. (This is your crumb coat.)
7. Take half your remaining buttercream and dye it your favourite colour. Starting at the bottom add a stripe of white buttercream, then, above that, add a stripe of coloured butter cream, keep alternating between the two till your cake is covered. Using a bench scrapper or a palate knife, smooth the sides of your cake. Do not over work your buttercream as the colour will begin to merge.
8. to prepare your vegan meringue kisses, line two baking sheets with grease proof paper.
i found one 400g tin of chickpeas gave me enough liquid for this recipe. Whisk the aquafaba until it forms stiff peaks, take note this will take much longer than if you were using egg whites. gradually add the sugar and continue to beat for a further 5 minutes. i dyed half my meringue mixture to match the colours of my cake and used a variety of nozzles to create different shapes and sizes, you can simply spoon small amounts of mixture onto a baking sheet. place in the oven and bake for 22 - 25 minutes. once baked the kisses should come away from the grease proof paper with ease.
9. randomly scatter your kisses over the top of your cake, if you have any gaps pipe any remaining buttercream to fill the spaces.
happy baking. All my lOVE
bottom of page