For the Cupcake
125g of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
125g of Caster Sugar
125g of Self - Raising Flour
1/4 tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
Zest and Juice of one Lime
For the Dark Rum Syrup
100ml of Dark Rum (I used Cloven Hoof Dark Rum, available from the following link www.clovenhoofrum.com)
50g of Caster Sugar
For the Maple Syrup Buttercream
250g of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
400g of Icing Sugar
A few teaspoons of milk
3 - 5tbs of Maple Syrup
For the Sugar Work
250g of Caster Sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees (155 degrees fan oven) and prepare a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, until light a fluffy. Beat in both eggs, sieve in the flour and bicarbonate and beat to combine. Finally add the zest and juice of the Lime, making sure all ingredients are fully combined.
3. Fill each cupcake case till 3/4 full, place in the oven for 22 mins or until the cupcakes are completely cooked through and a gorgeous golden brown.
4. In a small saucepan bring the dark rum and sugar to a simmer and simmer for 3 minutes, creating a syrup. Whilst your cakes are still warm, stab each cake 2 or 3 times with a knife, brush the syrup on top of your cakes and leave to cool completely .
5. Now time to make your buttercream, beat the butter for at least 5 minutes until light and pale. Add the icing sugar in three batches, each time adding a teaspoon of milk, doing so will mean the icing sugar won't go all over your kitchen. Once all the icing sugar is combined beat for a further 3 minutes. Beat in at least 3 table spoons of maple syrup, add more for a stronger flavour but be wary the syrup will thing your icing so be careful not add to much.
6. Once your happy with your buttercream spoon and cover the tops of each cupcake and level out using a teaspoon.
7. In a medium saucepan and over a low heat melt your caster sugar, the sugar does not need stirring but occasionally give your saucepan a gentle swirl. Line a baking sheet with baking paper, using a teaspoon take some of the melted sugar and pour/waft your sugar to create intricate patterns, set aside to cool, once completely cooled peal away from the baking parchment and add to the tops of your cupcakes.
8. Pour yourself another glass of rum and enjoy your cupcakes.
Happy Baking All My Love