top of page
Caramel and Apple Autumn Cake
For The Cake
325g of Unsalted Butter
325g of Caster Sugar
6 Free Range Eggs
85g of Cocoa Powder
90g of Melted Orange flavoured Chocolate (I used the classic Terry's Chocolate Orange.)
Zest of One Orange
For the buttercream
250g of Unsalted Butter
500g of Icing Sugar
2tbs of milk
100g of Milk Chocolate
Zest of Half and Orange
Orange Food Colouring
To Decorate a couple pieces of your Orange infused chocolate.
1. Grease and line 3x7 inch cake tins and pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees (fan.)
2. Over a pan of boiling water melt down your chocolate and leave to cool slightly.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Fold in the flour, cocoa powder, melted chocolate and the orange zest.
4. Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake tins and bake in the over for 30 - 40 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake skewer comes out clean. Leave to completely cool.
5. to prepare your buttercream, Beat your butter until light and pale -this will take around 5 minutes. Gradually beat in your icing sugar and milk. Once all added beat for a further 5 minutes - this will make your buttercream light, fluffy and pale.
6. Over a pan of boiling water melt down your chocolate and leave to cool, but not solidify again.
6. Take around 150g worth of buttercream, colour it orange and add the orange zest. To the remaining butter cream add your cooled chocolate.
7. Once your cakes are cooled completely use a bread knife to level them.
8. Using an open round pipping nozzle pipe individual blobs around the outside of the cake then fill in the centre. Or, you can spread an even layer of the chocolate buttercream in-between each layer of sponge simply using a palate knife or a metal spoon.
9. On the top layer pipe small blobs of chocolate buttercream around the outside of your cake then blobs of the orange butter cream. Keep alternating until the top layer is completely covered. Then decorate with extra segments of the orange chocolate. Or you can spread a layer of the orange butter cream across the top then decorate with the segments.
Happy Baking. All my Love
bottom of page